hKit is a simple toolkit for extracting common microformats from a page. The page can be presented as a string or a URL, and the result is handed back as a standard PHP array structure. hKit uses SimpleXML for parsing, and therefore requires PHP5.
hKit has a modular structure, with a simple ‘profile’ for each microformat it supports. As the project is very young (June 2006), the only module currently supported is hCard. You can download the latest version on the right. Let me know if you use it somewhere.
$hKit = new hKit;
$result = $hKit->getByURL('hcard', 'http://microformats.org/');
2518 days ago - hKit now on Google Code
I’ve given hKit a new home over on Google Code. Now that the source is in a publicly visible subversion repository, it’s a lot easier to get the very latest version, submit a patch or otherwise contribute.
There’s also a wiki, where I’ve added a list of known issues, notes on what’s new in svn since the last fully tested release, and of course a road map.
3051 days ago - hKit version 0.5
This release appears small, but includes some significant changes which may have caused some regression. Do let me know if you spot any anomalies. Any test results are welcome. There’s a live version on tools.microformatic.com
In this release:
- fixed by-ref issue cropping up in PHP 5.0.5
- fixed a bug with a@title
- added support for new hCard fn=n optimisation
- added support for new a.include include-pattern
The a.include pattern is still not quite finalised, but I felt it was worth implementing to see how practical it is to both use and parse. If for any reason a.include doesn’t become official, I’ll be taking it out again.
The new fn=n optimisation says that if n isn’t specified and n cannot be implied from fn, then fn can be assumed to be equal to “fn n” and fn may therefore contain n’s sub-items. Easy, right?
3081 days ago - hKit version 0.4
This release of hKit has a number of small, but important improvements:
- Refinment of the include-pattern code to prevented nested includes from causing infinite loops
- Calls to getByURL() now return false if URL can’t be fetched
- Added pre-flight check to ensure SimpleXML is available
- Added deduping of class names that are only supposed to appear once
- Prevented accumulation of multiple ‘value’ values
- Tuned whitespace handling and treatment of DEL elements
With the hCard profile, hKit now pretty much supports all the parsing rules on the wiki and passes all the hCard tests in the test suite.
3082 days ago - hKit version 0.3
Last night I dropped another update to hKit – version 0.3. Download.
I’m still focussing on getting hCard support properly working before branching out to other ÂµFs.
Key improvements are:
- Support for include-pattern
- Support for td@headers pattern
- Performs implied n-optimization expansion, rather than leaving it to the user
- Passes all hCard tests, apart from the telephone example cited yesterday
Problems I know I haven’t dealt with yet, but have in-the-shower solutions for are:
- Infinite loop protection for include-pattern
- Nested formats, e.g. hCard inside hReview, or XFN inside hCard, or both!
- Flight-checks and fallover for different PHP environments
Any testing and feedback is appreciated.